5.09.2006

timberrrrrr

so today i saw a tree turn into woodchips. and it only took those guys 15 minutes to do it. they started hacking the tree with their chainsaws after my second bite of sandwich. by the time i finished eating, they were feeding the last piece of wood into the huge ass chipper. think about the time it took that tree (about 2o-25 feet high) to grow. yeah, i know....whoa! i don't call myself an environmentalist but i do think that forests and wildlife should be protected and that natural resources should be conserved. i don't go to capitol hill to protest nor write to my representative about this issue. i'm very passive although i don't think that makes me a bad person. i try to "save" the environment in my own way in my own time. little things: recycling once in a while, turn off lights when not in use, turn off faucet while brushing teeth, roll windows down when driving.

by the way, i was observing people's reaction to this. it's like rubber-necking during a car accident. everyone's looking, maybe shaking their heads, but no one's stopping....just slowing down. then it passes and it's back to normal life speed.