9.26.2004

Welcome to the '80s

I love '80s movies because they're unpretentious and poignant. They don't try to make a big statement by bombarding us with crazy plotlines and a million twists. (Although there are many undeniably good movies that use these "tricks") The story is simple and yet it sucks you in and leave you very satisfied.

Due to an unexpected desire to see Andrew McCarthy's smile, I impulsely went to the friendly neighborhood Blockbuster to rent Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles. (Two words: Jake Ryan) Big disappointment! All the copies of Sixteen Candles are out and they don't even carry Pretty in Pink. What the F? So I browsed the store and picked up Say Anything. John Cusack + Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" = a good time. I also picked up St. Elmo's Fire because Andrew McCarthy's in it since I was not about to give up my weekend quest of seeing a movie with him in it. Both movies are awesome! I admit they're chick-flicky but they don't do chick flicks like that anymore (with the exception of Garden State and Almost Famous).

Enough about that fashion disaster of a decade called the '80s. I'll leave you with a quote from very funny Napoleon Dynamite. (I promise next time there'd be a blog on Fight Club and Chuck Palahniuk's gritty novels. Just to even it all out.)
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...