4.10.2005

a royal reception in wonderland

I went to the a-school's annual beaux-arts ball for the first time this saturday. it was sooo much fun. seriously...why haven't i been before? anways, beaux arts is the fancy word for "theme party" well, beaux arts is REALLY an academic classical architectural style closely related to the ecole de beaux arts in paris. (that little tidbit was from wikipedia...it's awesome and the name's quirky so double yay!) This year's theme is "A Royal Reception in Wonderland". I went as Wendy from Peter Pan. I know she's not royalty but she's British, so my costume still works. (lauren rationalized this for me) I bought that '70s style tiffany-blue dress in a thrift store that same morning for $15. sweet! i wanted to be a tacky bridesmaid first but that didn't really pan out since most of the dresses were EXTREMELY tacky. hey i have my pride you know. I went with lauren who managed to get sarah to come along. we had to do the "walk of shame" from the a-school to the satellite ballroom. we got weird stares; people looking away pretending they didn't see us; and a girl saying, "What is fairytale princesses?"

When I got there the first person I saw is one of my discussion kids. It was kinda surreal, but we're friends now. i bought her a drink. shhhh....don't tell. Then there are the a-school kids. I recognized everyone except for maybe a couple or so. i had two drinks myself. talked to a couple of drunk people first, played some unknown card game with the cards they used for decoration, then went to dance. the dj played mostly techno with some '80s and early '90s music thrown in. everyone had their own style of dancing. yes, creative people have "creative" moves. niiiiice!

Quote of the Night: from some random guy on the street after seeing Dave pull Lauren's makeshift puffy sleeves off
That is f***in' wrong!