9.18.2005

leaving on a jetplane

Another one of my friends just left Manila for another country. Although I believe that she's coming back after two years, it just makes me think about why people leave the country. Is the economy that bad that jobs aren't available for those who are highly qualified? I've always known the Philippine economy isn't great (for lack of a better term) and that finding a job - anywhere - is a big challenge. However, it still surprises me when people need to get out of the country to find their niche in the "real" world. Are there no more opportunities left for Filipinos wanting to realize their dreams and potentials in their own country? I've heard people say that you need to leave and hone your skills somewhere else, then come back when you know you have gained enough knowledge to influence the bigwigs and make a difference. But how many people choose to go back? How many have the courage to endure repeated frustrations by pursuing a futile cause? Seriously, enlighten me. I've directed those questions to myself and until now I do not know how to answer them.

I don't know how many balikbayans there are every year. I don't know if their number is declining. Does the Philippines send out more and more OCW's each year? I admit I don't know all the facts and I certainly do not want to sound cynical. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there isn't such a thing as a futile cause. Maybe there are people out there who are strong enough to challenge the status quo. There might not be a revolution, but the smallest of changes are more than welcome and are changes nonetheless.

So to Nicole: here's to broadening your horizons. You are wise beyond your years and I know you can find your place there.